A METRO Streetcar Operator operates a streetcar on an overhead electric power supply and travel across the Main Street Bridge over the Arkansas River to connect tourists, visitors, and locals to the cities major art and entertainment venues, restaurants, museums, parks, shops, libraries, and neighborhoods located in the downtowns. Streetcar operators provide information on historic sites, current economic revitalization efforts, community events, future expansion plans, and other news and facts from your vantage point on the heated and cooled streetcars.
This is a full-time position and the person selected to fill this position must be flexible in the hours of work and will be required to work weekends. Customer-friendly attitude is critical to this position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Operates streetcars in a safe, courteous, and reliable manner on a designated route within a defined time schedule. Directs and assists passengers in a safe and orderly fashion in boarding and deboarding. Provides assistance to people with disabilities and the elderly as required including operating platform wheelchair lifts.
• Operates and communicate a two-way radio system as regulated by the FCC. Notifies central dispatch/and or METRO Streetcar Manager of deviations, overload, accidents or passenger incidents. Notify central dispatch/and or METRO Streetcar Manager of passengers’ medical or behavioral problems and vehicle mechanical or electrical trouble. Complete and submit written reports concerning passenger incidents, accidents and route deviations.
• Responsible for the collection of appropriate fares. Distribute and collect transfers, tickets and coupons. Dispenses information to passengers as requested.
• Advise passengers of rules and regulations when necessary.
• Be able to describe attractions, history and cultured features to tourists in a pleasant manner. Drivers will ALWAYS need the ability to demonstrate a “customer-friendly attitude.”
• Must be High School Graduate or General Education Degree
• Two to four years related work experience
• Must be able to comprehend written & oral directions, bulletins, routes, fares, etc.
• Excellent public relations skills, clear speaking voice.
Full package of benefits including health, dental, vision, 457(b) retirement, paid vacation & sick days.
Salary Range: Training/Starting $17.00 per hour